Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What am I supposed to be doing?

Lamp in my bedroom, edited with iPhone apps Photoforge2 and Instagram.
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my life, and what I want it to be like. I doubt I'm the only one doing this, but I assume not everyone knows how to talk about it.

At this point in my life, I have a couple of options: continue school as a Biochemistry major, get out, go to graduate school, and become a pharmacist. This is option No. 1. It's nice, it's secure, it's hard, and it's something I'm not really too passionate about. Now let's introduce option No. 2: stick with school, but chase the dream--photography, writing, being creative all day long and constantly finding new ways to look at life. Wow, that one sounds pretty good, right? But wait, there's a down side to No. 2...let's talk about money, bills, job security. Nahhh, let's not discuss any of that because No. 2 has nothing good to say about it. Salary relies on private clients; I'd have to build a company from the ground, up; and there's no guarantee that any of it would work. So, now you see my problem.

The deciding factor in this whole process is something really simple: smiling. I'm going to do what makes me smile. Genuinely, I smile when I am happy (some of you who know me also know that I smile when I say something crass or act like a bastard, but still, even in those circumstances, I'm happy). I figure, if I take things day-by-day, it could [just maybe] work out to my benefit. Instead of choosing an entire path to walk down, I'm choosing stepping stones, one day at a time.

Don't get this confused with taking the easy way out every time I have to make a decision--it means choosing the thing that will satisfy not just one day, but the later days as well. When weighing the decision to see which one will make me happier, it's not just about today's happiness, but the happiness that will be affected by it further down the road. The decisions made today will determine the choices made available tomorrow. Think on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment